Monday 26 November 2012

ETHNIC/TRIBAL FASHION






My eyes opened up to ethnic/tribal fashion on the day of my private Middle Eastern wedding ceremony (many years ago). The groom & I dressed at his sister's home. I brought a jeans pants & t-shirt to marry. I was very young & did not know what to expect from a cultural/traditional marriage. Anyway,  my groom wore a long hand-sewn dress over his pants & his cousin sponsored me the Arab ethnic wear; a beautiful bronze/gold colour head band & Middle Eastern styled dress. Below is an image of similar traditional Arabic wedding dress that I wore on my "big" day & what a traditional Syrian groom looks like on his wedding day. These clothing are common to wear in the cities & villages in Syria. 




               




ETHNIC ORIGIN

The concept of ethnic origin is an attempt to classify people, not according to their current nationality, but according to commonalities in their social background. For example somebody living in a monocultural environment, speaking English for example and clearly a member of an English-speaking cultural milieu, may be descended from immigrants speaking some other language and still participate in some of aspects their culture.
Ethnic origin implies one or more of the following.
  • shared origins or social background;
  • shared culture and traditions that are distinctive, maintained between generations, and lead to a sense of identity and group;
  • a common language
  • a common religious tradition.


Traditional Portuguese ethnic wear.....the tradition of my mother's father

poor Gypsy family  wearing their traditional clothing.






My Portuguese Indian mother on her wedding day. My father wearing  his traditional  (Senegalese) ethnic  African  headband . 




my 9 year old mother wearing a hand made Indian cotton dress made by her mother.   



 Danny in red wearing  traditional Syrian (Arabic) wear. Me wearing traditional East Indian wear . Lily in Indian wear.




Native (Taino) ethnic wear




Traditional ethnic costumes of Jews



Even though these "black" clothing are more religious than  ethnic, "black" clothing is becoming popular among new ethnic groups. Perhaps history repeating itself or other  influence.







          MEXICAN              
Traditional Somalian wear


The Huichol 




The following links will give you updates & information on ethnic groups. 

http://worldethnicgroups.com/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethnic_group

No comments:

Post a Comment