Sunday 25 November 2012

THE FINE ARTS OF HEALING

Edward Bowen was born in Port of Spain in 1963. At the age of seven he went to school in England and later, in 1981, entered Croydon College of Design and Technology, graduating in Fine Art and Printmaking in 1985. At his art studio in Sans Soucci, Trinidad, I've been spending my some of my weekends looking at his art in progress, reading "meditation" books I find anywhere in the studio, listening to the sound of the sea, birds & trees and, most importantly, tasting his adventurous meals in a hammock. Jack is the Vincentian born estate care taker who lives on the Bowen plantation. He takes old wooden furniture to repair & reinvent them. Even though Jack is a builder/caretaker/farmer since the days of Eddie Bowen's father, he realizes that art is a part of healing through his loneliness. Ferro De Silva lives walking distance from the Bowen Estate. He is an eighty nine year old farmer & is well known throughout the north coast as the "herb" man. Whenever I spend my occasional weekends in Sans Soucci, Mr De Silva tells me about his childhood memoirs of St Vincent, his working experience in Trinidad, picking apples in Canada, the ducks he is rearing & the mysterious wonders of herbal medicine. For him, the art of healing is herbal medicine. For many others, books, "Prayers", fasting, alms giving, music & art are just few among many other choices. 



EDDIE BOWEN'S ART




The above image is very symbolic to me because the "hill" in that image has a church on it in reality. The following link is a published article I wrote about a healing/anointing service that I experienced by exorcism Priest, Fr. Graham in Sans Soucci. For me, this service is considered an art of healing . 

http://www.catholicnews-tt.net/joomla/index.php?view=article&catid=36:parish-news&id=302:par150309&option=com_content&Itemid=93

Eddie Bowen's art




The following is a video of St Vincent in the 1940's where my "partner," the "herb" man grew up
must have been plenty healing for him to move to Trinidad as he & his family escaped poverty. 






A Market scene in St Vincent, 1940's. 

No comments:

Post a Comment